First and foremost, let me say congratulations to all of the winners last night. While I may not agree with all of the choices, a win is a win. For a list of all the winners, click here.
Okay now on to my thoughts……
1. Kanye is Kanye. I would have expected nothing less from him. From his performances to his fashion to his Beck rank, its Kanye. He’s passionate about his artistry and his friends too. P.S. Beyonce, Jay Z, and Ty Ty’s reactions were priceless.
Here is his rant after the awards:
“I don’t even know what [Beck] said. I just know that, the Grammys, if they want real artists to keep coming back, they need to stop playing with us. We aren’t going to play with them no more. ‘Flawless.’ Beyoncé’s video. And Beck needs to respect artistry, he should have given his award to Beyoncé. At this point, we tired of it. What happens is, when you keep on diminishing art, and not respecting the craft, and smacking people in the face after they deliver monumental feats of music, you’re disrespectful to inspiration. We, as musicians, have to inspire people who go to work every day, and they listen to that Beyoncé album, and they feel like it takes them to a different place. And then they do this promotional event, and they’ll run the music over somebody’s speech, the artist, because they want commercial advertising. We aren’t playing with them anymore. And by the way, I got my wife, my daughter, and I got my clothing line, so I’m not going to do nothing that would put my daughter at risk, but I am here to fight for creativity. That’s why I didn’t say anything tonight, but you all knew what it meant when ‘Ye stepped on that stage.” (source)
2. I know I am in the minority here, but I think it was shady that Beyonce was chosen to sing Precious Lord, Take My Hand instead of Ledisi, who originally sang the song for Selma. Plus, Beyonce didn’t sound that great singing it. Sure her vocals were flawless, but the emotion wasn’t there. Sorry beyhive!
3. Speaking of Beyonce, I was underwhelmed by her red carpet look, but she did look haute while singing and post-award show. I lived for all of her moments at the Grammys with her hubby! Hey Mr. Carter….
4. Yes! Yes! Yes! Hello to Mr. and Mrs. West. Her makeup and hair was perfection. I’m on the fence with her Jean Paul Gaultier gown. It’s beautifully made, but on her…….Let’s just say I didn’t hate it while others called it a fancy bathrobe. Another polarizing choice for the Wests. BTW………..Did you see the Mrs. take a picture together? Oh, and how she supported her husband’s opinion about Beck winning Best Album? She captioned her picture with the Legends as “this is the Beck won that award face ?!?!”
10. A few people thought Solange inspired both her sister and Katy Perry last night. I think I agree with those people. LOL!